Traditional steak-frites will be present in virtually any American steakhouse or European brasserie. Right here, I present you the way to make home made French fries, smooth on the within however golden and crispy on the surface to accompany your hard-won elk venison steak. Although an uncomplicated dish with few components, steak-frites, when made nicely, units the bar at any desk with its simplicity and class.
For some freshness and greenery, I recommend the pepperiness of arugula (rocket) with tangy balsamic French dressing that balances nicely with the elk and fries. I want a dry, darkish purple wine with this dish, equivalent to cabernet sauvignon, zinfandel, syrah, shiraz, petite sirah, Bordeaux or a darker purple mix.
Prep time: 1 hour
Prepare dinner time: 45 minutes
- 2 elk venison steaks
- 1 sprig rosemary, leaves chopped
- Kosher salt
- Freshly cracked pepper, coarse
- 4 russet potatoes
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Positive sea salt, to style
- Take elk venison steaks out of the fridge at the very least 1 hour previous to cooking (I want 2 hours). It will enable steaks to return to room temperature, guaranteeing extra even cooking. Take away as a lot silver pores and skin as potential. Pat steaks dry with paper towels and sprinkle with chopped rosemary. Put aside.
- In the meantime, scrub russet potatoes underneath operating water to take away all dust. Lower potatoes into shoestring-sized items, dropping fries right into a bowl of water as you go alongside. It will maintain the potatoes from turning into brown. The water may also assist take away extra starch from the potatoes, which might trigger clumping and likewise inhibit the fries from getting crispy. Some individuals soak the potatoes in a single day, however I didn’t have time for that.
- For the right crispy-outside, tender-inside French fries, you’ll have to double fry your potatoes. The primary fry at a low temperature ensures that the fries might be cooked by way of and fluffy on the within, whereas the second fry will give them crunch.
For the primary fry, warmth sufficient oil for deep-frying to 300 levels Fahrenheit. Relying on how massive your cooking vessel might be, you’ll in all probability need to fry your fries in batches. Take a handful of fries out of the water and dry them in addition to you’ll be able to with paper towels to keep away from splattering. Rigorously drop them into the 300-degree oil and fry till simply tender, about 3-5 minutes. Gently stir French fries within the oil to keep away from sticking. Fries won’t look brown in any respect at this level; you’re basically simply blanching them. Drain on paper towels and repeat with the remainder of the fries. Put aside till you’re prepared for the second fry.
- For the second fry, warmth oil to 375 to 400 levels. Fry French fries once more in batches till golden brown and crispy. Toss with superb salt to style. In the meantime, over medium-high, warmth sufficient oil to coat the underside of a skillet. Dab elk steaks dry with paper towels and sprinkle kosher salt and coarse floor pepper throughout. Prepare dinner for about 2-3 minutes on either side for medium-rare. Cooking instances will fluctuate relying on steak thickness. Serve steak with fries and a lightweight, tangy salad.